28 February 2011

Berlusconia

Berlusconi by Dutch cartoonist Jean GoudersA few months ago a Portuguese friend of mine insisted that Europe is neither Islamophobic nor racist. And if a foreigner feels he/ she is an object of prejudice, it only reflects the growing frustration of the populace in the face of their crumbling economies. He was responding to my narration of an incident of mistreatment at the Lisbon airport. Only a few days ago in Macao I heard and old lady rant on and on as to why she thought Indians were a dirty uncivilised lot who ate with their hands and never took bath.

But I have so far had a better deal than many others. I hear of a school mate, who dreads each assignment in Europe that his multinational software company puts him on, for his last name is Mohammed. As a rule he is harassed at each airport . Every time , my brother Mathew flies to Europe, he is stopped and questioned at the airport and a couple of days ago was accused of carrying a fake visa. Incidentally Mathew has a beard. But, says my friend, Europe is neither Islamophobic nor racist!

My stay in Italy has till been smooth. There are no overt signs of prejudice. But like the rest of Europe, perhaps at a greater pace, Italy is changing. That was why I was waiting with Cecilia and Archie, a student from Indonesia at the immigration section of the police station on the morning of the second day of my arrival.While the Schengen agreement is said to have opened the borders of Europe further, with my Portuguese permit of residence, I am still required to register before 9 days into my arrival in Italy with the police. And the maximum period of stay is to be three months, with its reasons validated by documents.

We waited at the upstairs corridor of the office building for our turn along with many other Asian and African Immigrants. Many of them were with families. A little boy with the smile of an angel tried to grab the file in my hands as his father chided him in Bangla. Among the list of appointments my eyes fell on an 'Elsy P.K.',and I wondered if Elsy P.K. is a Malayali nurse from Pathanamthitta who enjoys feeding compatriots with kappa and beef.
We must be aware of the superiority of our civilization, a system that has guaranteed well-being, respect for human rights and - in contrast with Islamic countries - respect for religious and political rights, a system that has as its value understanding of diversity and tolerance
-Silvio Berlusconi, Prime Minister of Italy

It was a long wait and during the wait Cecilia explained to me that the procedures were not always the way they are now.Immigration rules are changing in Italy by day and each time she comes to assist a foreign student, there is a new document needed and a new detail demanded. This is the third term of Silvio Berlusconi-the longest serving prime minister of Italy and one of the richest man alive. Berlusconi's terms in office were marked by a series of controversies surrounding embezzlement, tax fraud,false accounting, attempted bribery of a judge and sexual abuse charges.His immigration laws have been called xenophobic and seeks imprisonment of immigrants without a valid document (which would be me if I fail to register today)and a higher punishment for crimes committed by illegal immigrants. Indeed he called these immigrants and 'army of evil' against whom the 'good' Italian people are pitched in battle.

Sylvia Berlusconi is symptomatic of Italy. Anti- Immigrant sentiments are wide spread and nasty targeted incidents of violence has marked the recent years. The country is swaying further and further to the right as support for extreme fascist groups like the Lega Nord increase. Now we are siting across the desk of a large blonde officer. He disappeared with my documents about 15 minutes ago and has not come back.I think of the Egyptian visa stamped in my passport and wonder if... The female officer in the next desk is as unpleasant as a person could be as she barks queries at the young man sitting opposite her.

In the new Italy even a South Italian like Cecilia is seen with prejudiced eyes. In provinces like Ferrara where the Lega Nord is a major presence, she is a second grade citizen. Cecilia is outraged and surprised at the youth of Italy for buying the fascist logic. She says that the major problem in Italy is the absence of a strong left.(But at least they still have people who think like Cecilia). As I sit there waiting, I take in the room. There are intimidating posters on the walls around of men in handcuffs and pistols. The officer, who has my fate in his hand is seeking blessings from the pope on another wall.

I can feel uneasiness creep into me as I sit here. For it takes only a few few images on a wall to make you feel like an outsider.But if I am to believe my friend Europe is neither Islamophoic nor racist. Call me paranoid, for one thing, since the day I came to Europe I am increasingly aware of the colour of my skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment