05 January 2011

Snow-ward bound...

I had never known snow. For me it was settled on the picture post card roof-tops and trees.Snow was the cotton fluffed over plastic Christmas trees behind shop windows.Snow fell onto the pages of the novels I read and melted over poems. But I still had never known snow.So it was mostly to see snow that I was travelling this time. A tour charted out carefully by Daniela, through Bavaria, Vienna and Zurich over which the year would pass and the new one would begin.

The trip began in the Bavarian capital of Munich on a night when the railroads and streets were covered with snow.It ends today in Zurich, where contrary to expectations, the sun shone bright over the city. We never knew any city in depth, but skimmed through their surfaces. Sometimes we strolled aimless along the streets, sometimes went for the strict routes of tour buses. We traveled to the Bavarian interiors, got caught in the Viennese new year. We went into drunken excesses and fell into the temptation of unknown flavours at expensive restaurants.

I suppose each trip brings in something new to you. Much like novels do. A little more confidence (I no longer stutter when I ask for ways). A lot of laughter like this time for I was with friends. A slightly relaxed posture. Strangers in pubs and hostel lounges. And sometimes, something as silent as a flake of snow that melts on your lips as you accidentally raise your gaze upwards standing on a crowded loud city street on a New year's eve.

No comments:

Post a Comment