25 June 2010

"In view of the world cup...."

For the first time, i was all alone in my support at the Brazil - Portuguese match. I watched the game in the parlour of a youth hostel at the heart of Lisbon, surrounded by a bunch of Portuguese supporters. The excitement of me and my companions built and waned in exactly opposite rhythms.A loud lady kept harping about the referee being partial to Brazil as I swore under my breath.

I had come to Lisbon to seek an appointment at the consulate of Brazil. The people waiting outside the consulado formed a yellow and green line of anticipation. Along the street and in the metro people rushed to their work dressed in red or yellow with flags and scarves of the team they supported (I sinned by wearing a purple T shirt. Interstingely, Brazil seemed to have more supporters in the streets of Lisbon. The Lisbon branch of Banco do Brazil had put up a notice at its entrance "In view of the world cup during these days the bank ill not function after 2:30".

Well, the game did not offer much to the supporters. Yellow and red flags hung limp on their shoulders as, in loosely knit groups they went about their way. I am back at the youth hostel living room. A larger croud has gathered to watch the Spain - Chile match. As the Spanish suppoters thump the table shouting "Espanha Espanha" i think how easy it is this time- to join the cheer or choose not to!

No comments:

Post a Comment